A quality soil blend for the vegetable garden should: control moisture, provide an appropriate planting media and include a healthy organic amendment.
- Control moisture. Vegetable gardens need a lot of moisture, and a good soil mixture with plenty of organic matter holds more of it. But too much moisture can lead to problems like soggy soil and root rot. So can the wrong kind of sand, as sand either holds or sheds moisture depending on the type used in the mixture. Coarse sand better supports water drainage in raised garden beds, which can tend to hold water, turn soggy which leads to root rot. Fine sand is preferred for in-ground gardens and lawns as it helps retain soil moisture. Adding sand to the soil mix also helps produce a smooth blend that’s easy work with. However, a gardening soil mixture that includes composted horse manure – which naturally stores moisture – is best used without adding sand.
- Appropriate planting media. Although it may be obvious, but quality gardening soil proceeds from quality topsoil (screened, pulverized black dirt). But even great topsoil alone falls short of what’s required for the garden to thrive.
- Organic compost. When you amend your topsoil with vibrant natural compost, great results follow. Where fertilizer feeds the plants, compost feeds the soil. While compost adds important nutrients to the soil for good soil health, too much compost can hurt plants and burn tender roots. You can be certain that the ratios we use are optimally proportioned with your best results in mind.
- Tim’s Original Garden Mix (great for in the ground gardens)
- 50% topsoil, 25% fine sand and 25% organic compost
- Premium Garden Mix (also great for in the ground gardens)
- 50% topsoil, 25% fine sand and 25% Purple Cow Classic Organic Compost
- Enriched Vegetable Garden Mix
- 50% topsoil and 50% composted horse manure
- Raised Bed Mix (if you have an above the ground garden bed, this is the best option for you)
- 50% topsoil, 25% coarse sand and 25% organic compost
- Premium Raised Bed Mix (super-charged with Purple Cow Compost)
- 50% topsoil, 25% coarse sand and 25% Purple Cow Classic Organic Compost
- Premium Compost Mix (use only with a sufficient amount of existing topsoil)
- 50% organic compost and 50% mushroom compost
- Mix & Till Blends (if you already have a sufficient amount of good, black dirt)
All of our Soil Mixes for the Vegetable Garden are available for pickup or delivery. Our delivery minimum is 2 cubic yards. Garden Mix and Raised Bed Mix can be picked up in 1/2 or 1 cubic yard increments. All other Vegetable Garden mixes are blended “on demand” by the full cubic yard. Call us at (630) 759-5552 to set up your home delivery.
To learn more about our Soil Blends for vegetable gardens, visit our Soil Mix Supply website.